Got your costume and decorations ready for Halloween? It’s fun to join the Halloween festivities, but we also know how easy it is for your kids (and you!) to overload on sugary treats. And not to take the fun out of things, but all that sugar could equal cavities and other bad effects on your health.
You may choose to indulge in a little candy fun this Halloween, but why not also start some new traditions with less scary, less sugary Halloween treats? Here are a few recommendations for healthier treats you can give out to local ghouls and goblins:
- A mini box of raisins
- Mini candy bars of dark chocolate (Chocolate?! Need we say more?!)
- 100-calorie snack packets
- Small snack-sized servings of graham crackers
And here are some easy recipes you can make at home:
- Monster Mouths: Take 10 apple slices and cover them halfway with peanut butter or another nut butter. Put two slices together so they look like a mouth, and then place whole peanuts or almonds in the middle so they look like teeth. Recipe courtesy of SheKnows.
- Veggie Skeleton: Slice up veggies like carrots and celery vertically. Arrange the slices in the shape of a skeleton. Use a dip like hummus to keep them in place if necessary. A small bowl of dip/hummus can be used where the skull goes. Recipe courtesy of VeryWell.com.
- Black and Orange Dip: Buy or make a black bean dip and serve it with sweet potato chips.
- Pumpkin seeds: Carving a pumpkin can get messy, but one benefit is you can roast the pumpkin seeds. All you have to add is a little olive oil and salt. Yum!
Call Acupuncture and Herbal Solutions for Healthy Eating Ideas
If you’re looking for additional ways to stay healthy during Halloween and year-round, Acupuncture and Herbal Solutions can help. Dr. Vonador now has two offices to conveniently serve patients, in Bradenton and in Ellenton. She also accepts several types of insurance. From allergies to headaches to back pain to fibromyalgia, you’re in good hands with Dr. Vonador. To set an appointment, call 941-479-2937 and visit our website at www.DrVonador.com today. You can also find us on Facebook, at Acupuncture and Herbal Solutions.